Saturday, August 9, 2008

I have met God.



Iggy Pop is God. It is completely apparent to me that if there was some kind of Messiah it would be Iggy Pop. But, I'm sure this is also apparent to everyone else, so I will start the tale at the beginning of the night.

My friend Alexis and I met at the train station. We basically terrorized the people around us by having a very loud discussion about Iggy Pop and is very large penis, drugs, and anything else that would offend the people in front of us. We finally got to the city and we were almost attacked by the subway doors (of course). We wandered over to the venue (Terminal 5) and luckily Alexis was there to say, "Lucy, the show is not on 57th, it's on 56th." That made it a bit easier to find.

After waiting for 20 minutes we finally got inside. The audience was made up of: old men who have done too many drugs (think of Jimmy from Trash and Vaudeville), people in their 20s who were pretty normal, people who were currently too drunk or too stoned to stand up under their own control, more creepy old dudes who were really dirty, and us. Also, there were a whole lots of people who tried to push past us and move to the very front (we were standing in about the 3rd row).

We stood on the floor of the club for an hour and a half waiting for Iggy to appear. From 8 to 9:30 we waited, and waited, and waited and waited and waited and waited. People would cheer at random intervals for no apparent reason and we saw 3 people get kicked out before the music even started. I did a Richard Hell impression ("oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh") and the people ahead of us heard and wanted me to do it again (haha, I was kinda flattered).

Finally the lights dimmed and the stage lights came on. Iggy walked on stage. I just couldn't believe it. He was standing there, this man who I had idolized since I was 15 was standing in front of me. I didn't know how to react. I was stunned, there was no way that it was possible.

For the next hour and a half as I watched Iggy and the Stooges play I kept freaking out. I would start to sing and bang my head and jump up and down, suddenly I would look up and Iggy Pop was standing above me. It was the most incredible show of my life. By the end of the night I was drenched in other people's sweat and water that Iggy had thrown on the crowd, but it was glorious. I'm trying to convey something that I really can't say because to experience it you had to be there. The only thing I can say is Iggy is God.

5 comments:

Gledwood said...

Iggy Pop aparently used to love "quaaludes"

all I know of quaaludes is they're something called "methaqualone" which was marketed as Mandrax over here

can you still get quaaludes in the States? if so are they any good?

Gledwood said...

i used to know a guy lived in Malta, which being a doot in the Mediterranean JUST SOUTH OF SICILY was awash with drugs

he said you could get quaaludes there

they were illicitly-produced pills stamped with branding motifs just like ecstasy today

that was the 1970s/1980s though i seriously doubt you can get them now!!

Lucinda said...

I think Iggy Pop just enjoyed any kind of drug that he could get. Everyone knows that he loved dope, but I had never heard that he like quaaludes... I don't think he was very picky. = )

I don't know, I've never had the desire to go find quaaludes. Yeah, I've heard of them being around in the 70s/80s, but I don't know if you can still get them. If they are in the U.S. my guess is either A) CA, B)Arizona or other south west states, or C) NYC. That seems to be the best bets for any kind of drugs.

Anonymous said...

Dude, how much did that show completely rule? It was like having sex with god and satan at the same time.

Lucinda said...

And with the 50 people who were rubbing up against you.